Whale Sharks in Oslob is undoubtedly one of the most popular tourist attractions in the province of Cebu. And here’s everything you need to know about this famous tourist spot.
Whale Shark watching is available daily from 6:00 AM to 12:00 PM only since these gentle giants need to rest too and need to be alone in the sea so it’s only natural to have time limits.
Filipino Tourists – Whale watching (no swimming) + Life Jacket = 300 PHP or 6 USD
Filipino Tourists – Snorkeling with the Whale + Life Jacket = 500 PHP or 10 USD
Foreign Tourists – Snorkeling with the Whale + Life Jacket = 1,000 PHP or 20 USD
And of course, there are rules and regulations that every tourists should follow, and here is it:
- All whale shark watchers must undergo orientation at the Briefing Center on the rules for interaction with whale sharks.
- No feeding of whale sharks by unauthorized personnel.
- Do not touch, ride, or chase a whale shark.
- Do not restrict normal movement or behavior of the shark.
- Do not use flash photography.
- Do not create splash when entering the water.
- Do not wear sunscreen if you are going to enter the water.
- Motor boats are prohibited in the area. Only paddle boats are allowed.
- Viewing is limited to 30 minutes.
- Maintain a minimum distance of 5m from the head, 6m from the tail (this differs from the 2m from the head, and 5m from the tail stated in the ordinance).
Also here are some of the things to remember too
- The activity is good for 30 minutes only.
- Diving and snorkeling are limited in time and people. The activity is by batch.
- TIP: If you don’t want to wait in the line for too long and avoid the horrible traffic in the city and the southern parts, make sure to leave Cebu City or Mactan at around 2 or 3 AM.
Getting to Oslob Whale Sharks
- BY BUS: From the South Bus Terminal (near Emall), ride a Ceres bus going to “Bato-Oslob”. All buses bound for Oslob operate 24/7. Bus fare is 155 PHP /head (one-way). Inform the driver to drop you off at the main Whale Shark activity site.
- BY CAR: Going to Oslob is possible too if you are using your own private car by using navigation apps such as Waze or Google Maps. Make sure to navigate via Waze or Google Maps and set your destination to “Oslob Whale Shark Watching”.
- BY TRAVEL AGENCY: If you want a hassle-free trip to Oslob and want to make the most out of your vacation, it’s best to book a travel agency. There are loads of local travel agencies you can choose from.
Here are some facts tourists should know
- The activity site is situated in Brgy. Tan-awan in the town of Oslob, a remote part of Cebu that is 3-4 hours away from the city or 4-5 hours drive from Mactan Airport.
- Diving and snorkeling are limited in time and people, and done by batch. Each batch has 30 minutes to watch or swim with the whale sharks. Prior to that, there is an informative talk and presentation about the Whale Sharks and STRICT RULES to be observed during the activity.
- All the Whale Sharks at the Oslob Whale Shark Snorkel tour are wild animals and come and go as they please. The floats you see on the surface are merely marking the area for motorized boats to stay away.
- All the boats used in the activity, at the feeding area, are paddled using wooden oars — leaving no harmful chemicals unlike boat propellers.
- There are marine biologists in the area monitoring the water activity. Images are taken each day in water and using astrological mapping – map the whale shark spots.